Describe when someone gave you something you really wanted /a gift you’re received
16. Describe when someone gave you something you really wanted /a gift you’re received
You Should Say:
- Who gave it to you
- What was the thing
- When you received it
- Why you needed it?
- How you felt about it
Note: you have to talk for 1 to 2 minutes. You have 1 minute to take a look at the main points and prepare some notes which you can use while speaking.
● In my life, I have never asked anyone for anything but there have been occasions when people
have given gifts to me and it made me feel really happy.
● Today I would like to talk about one such occasion when someone gifted me a thing that I was
planning to buy on my own
● It was given to me by my brother who is working as an engineer in Canada
● My brother loves me very much and is a kind-hearted person
● He gifted me the latest iPhone X and I was completely astonished (greatly surprised) when I
came to know that he got this phone for me.
● Actually I had been saving for this phone for a lot of months but still i didn’t have enough money
to buy it
● I also read a lot of reviews about this phone and watched a lot of videos on youtube as well
about this phone
● It’s an awesome phone with lot of great features like face recognition, wireless charging and
● My brother was visiting us the last winter and he saw me doing a lot of research about
this phone on the internet
● He knew that I wanted this phone badly
● So he went ahead and bought this phone for me without letting me know
● He gave this phone to me as a surprise on Christmas
● When I woke up on Christmas morning the phone was lying inside a sock next to my bed.
● At first I didn’t believe if it was real or a dream but then when everyone started congratulating
me, I felt elated.
● I thanked my brother a lot and I called him my Santa Claus.
● So this was the moment when I felt extremely joyful on receiving something I really wanted.
Part 3 Follow-Up Questions
1. What is the relationship between shopping and the economy of your country?
Shopping improves the economy and as the economy improves, people do more shopping. So, both
things depend on each other.
2. What are the things young people like to buy?
Young people like to buy clothes, shoes, electronic gadgets and many other products.
3. How your friends influence your shopping choice?
Friends suggest me things to buy. My friends are very brand conscious. So,they keep a lookout on
the various offers by various branded stores. For example, recently, there was an offer on Levis
jeans. Two jeans were free on the purchase of one. So, we bought one for Rs 3000/- and got two free.
Each one had to pay only 1000/- for the Levis jeans.4.
4. Is consumption important to a country?
Yes, consumption is very important to a country for its economy to grow/progress. Consumption
means customer demand and that leads to mass production, and employment and makes any business
profitable. However, overconsumption can be negative as it leads to a consumerist and
materialistic society. It also leads to environmental damage. So, people should draw a line on their
consumption of consumer goods and it shouldn’t lead to the above-mentioned drawbacks or a
5. What should parents do when their children ask for things their friends have?
Parents should make their children understand the difference between needs and desires. Parents
should also be transparent about the affordability and family budget limitations so that children
become more responsible and don’t demand things from their parents only because of peer
6. Why do people buy things that are not necessary?
People sometimes buy things that are unnecessary because of their materialistic nature. It could
also be due to peer or societal pressures. Sometimes people may stock things in the hope that it is
something that they may need in the future.