IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS speaking New Cue card
15. Talk about a thing you complained about something (but finally got a good result)
You should say:-
– What did you complain about
– Who you complained to
– When it happened
– What was the result and why you were satisfied with the result?
Note: you have to talk for 1 to 2 minutes. You have 1 minute to take a look at the main points and prepare some notes which you can use while speaking.
Sample answers (1) Talk about a thing you complained about something
Recently, I had an experience where I had to complain about a service I received. The incident occurred several months ago, when I had ordered a new phone online, amazon The phone was supposed to be delivered within a week, but it took much longer than that.
I had been eagerly waiting for my new phone to arrive, and when the delivery date passed, I began to grow increasingly frustrated. I reached out to the customer service team of the company who I bought it from. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the delay in delivery and requested an update on the status of my order.
To my surprise, the customer service representative was extremely helpful and apologetic. She listened to my complaint and immediately investigated the issue. She discovered that the phone had been delayed in transit due to unexpected weather conditions. She assured me that the phone would be delivered as soon as possible and offered a small compensation for the inconvenience.
Within the next couple of days, my phone was finally delivered. I was pleased to see that it was in perfect condition and worked perfectly. I was also satisfied with the compensation and the way the customer service team had handled my complaint. They had been prompt, professional, and understanding, which made the whole experience much more bearable.
In conclusion, complaining can be daunting, but it is sometimes necessary to resolve issues that may arise.
Sample answers (1) Talk about a thing you complained about something
Recently, I had the opportunity to dine at a popular restaurant in my city. While the food was delicious and the atmosphere was pleasant, I encountered a problem with my order that left me feeling quite disappointed.
I had ordered a dish that was supposed to include a certain type of protein, however, upon receiving my plate, I noticed that it was missing. I immediately brought this to the attention of my server, who apologized and informed the kitchen of the mistake.
Feeling dissatisfied with the situation, I then decided to speak with the manager of the restaurant. I explained the issue and expressed my disappointment with the mistake that had been made. The manager listened attentively and assured me that they would do everything in their power to rectify the situation.
To my surprise, not only was the missing protein added to my dish, but I was also offered a complimentary dessert as an apology for the inconvenience. I was quite satisfied with the result as it demonstrated that the restaurant was willing to go above and beyond to ensure that their customers were happy.
Overall, while the initial mistake was disappointing, the swift action taken by the restaurant’s staff and management to resolve the issue left me feeling impressed and satisfied with the service I received. It is clear that they value customer satisfaction and take any complaints seriously, which is something that I greatly appreciate.
Sample answers (1)Talk about a thing you complained about something
• Well, I am the kind of person who usually does not like to complain a lot.
• But when something is not done in the right way, I feel it’s my duty to get it corrected because
complaining about it will make sure that it does not happen again.
• Today, I would like to talk about a situation when I complained about service and eventually
got it corrected
• It happened last month when I had to get my account statement from the bank, which
I needed for applying for my visa
• When I reached the bank in the morning, the officer told me that the bank’s printer was
• He asked me to come back again the next day.
• When I went to the bank the next day he again told me the same reason.
• I requested them to get it fixed as it was an urgent requirement for me, but the bank officials
did not seem to bother much about it.
• So I decided to file a complaint with the higher authorities.
• I came back home, opened the bank’s website, and sent an email to the bank management at
• I immediately got a call back from them and they said they will take strict action against this
• I thanked them and went again to the bank.
• To my surprise, as soon as I entered the bank, the manager came to me with my account
• They got the printer fixed immediately after my complaint.
• I came to know that a lot of other people were also suffering because of this issue.
• The manager asked me to take my complaint back as senior management issued a notice to
him for not listening to the customers, but I refused to do the same.
• I told him it is his responsibility to look after the customers and listen to their problems.
• He then apologized for it and promised me that in the future he will take great care of it.
• So this was a time when I complained about something and got a good result.
Part 3: Follow-Up Questions Talk about a thing you complained about something
1. When do people usually complain?
People usually complain when they have been inconvenienced or face discomfort. The other main
reason for people complaining is when they have been duped or cheated by someone. There are
also many people who may complain without any valid reason, as they may have a complaining
2. Can complaining help solve problems?
Yes, there are many scenarios when complaining helps solve problems. For instance, when a
product/appliance/gadget stops working or malfunctions, complaining to customer support or
service helps solve the problem. There are many situations when people get duped or cheated and
if they complain to the authorities, they are very likely to get justice.
3. What other measures you should take to solve problems rather than complain
Sometimes complaining is not the best solution to problems that we face. For instance, the traffic
problems in many cities are due to people themselves not following the traffic rules. However,
complaining about it doesn’t solve it, taking steps and initiatives at the individual level can help
resolve such issues.
4. What kind of people complaint
People who are aware of their rights and entitlements complain when they do not receive what
they deserve or have been promised. However, there may be some people who complain without
any valid/solid reason. Such people are usually unaware and do not want to take responsibility for
5. Do you usually get angry?
No, I do not usually get angry. However, there are situations that make me angry, like when I see
someone doing or saying something wrong and inappropriate. Sometimes reading or watching the
news about crimes, corruption, and terrorist attacks and innocent people losing their lives makes
6. Do you think customers’ complaints will improve products or services?
Yes, definitely. Every company knows that the customer is king nowadays. If they get a
complaint, they listen to it and try to improve. If they improve only then they retain their
7. Is it necessary for companies to set up customer service?
Yes, it is necessary for companies to set up customer service. They have to listen to their customers.
Positive feedbacks, as well as negative feedbacks, are important for every company.
8. Are there any disadvantages to setting up customer service?
Yes, sometimes some rival companies may misuse and put up negative things just to spoil the name
of the company.